Youth Arts Day & Music Fest 2013
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
FREE for Youth (Grades K-12); $12 for Adults
Youth Arts Day & Music Fest features a month long visual and literary art exhibition as well as a day long series of youth performance art at the Deering Estate at Cutler. Spend the entire day and enjoy youth artwork, as well as musical and theatrical performances from students and organizations! There will also be a month-long visual and literary art exhibition at the Deering Estate where student’s artwork will be on display inside the Richmond Cottage and Stone House from April 27th through May 16th. The exhibit is free with Estate admission.
Sponsors, organizations and participating schools include:
The Deering Estate Foundation, Inc., Reflections Productions, Superwheels Skating Center, Greater Miami Youth Symphony (GMYS), Door to the Arts, Inc., Dade Heritage Trust, Arthur and Polly Mays Conservatory of the Arts, Miami Children’s Theater, Tandem Theater Project, Dr. Henry Perrine Academy of the Arts, Ballet at the Park, Inc., GroveHouse Artists, Bel-Aire Elementary, St. Phillips, Somerset Academy Silver Pines, Hialeah High School, West Hialeah Gardens Elementary, Coral Reed Senior High, Coral Reef Montessori Academy, Palmetto Senior High, SALT Homeschool Group and individual student entries.
• Historic House Tours – 10:30 am & 3:00 pm
• Natural Areas Tour – 12:30 pm
• On-Stage Performances – 11:00 am – 3:45 pm Sponsored by Reflections Productions, Inc. and Superwheels Skating Center
Enjoy a day of youth performances including Classical and Contemporary dance, music, theater, spoken word, and chorale works.
• Good Vibrations Percussion – 10:00 am – 4:00 pm ongoing
Guests can enjoy experimenting with the sounds of on-loan traditional and home-made instruments. Explore the sounds from custom congas, rain-sticks, cymbals and drums. All abilities welcome.
• Colors of the Wind - 10:00 am - 3:00 pm ongoing
Colors of the Wind is a designated art making area for children with easels and paint next to the beautiful boat basin. After creating images of the water, houses, and natural elements, works can dry in our Colors of the Wind Gallery. Time and participant name will be written on the back of the piece and after 30 minutes, work will be rolled and put into a bin for later collection.
• Movin’ Grovin’ Streamers - 11:00 am - 3:00 pm ongoing
Create your own dance streamer and learn some grovin’ dance moves to be performed at the 3:15 pm “Flash Mob.”
• Celebrate Mother Nature - 10:00 am - 4:00 pm ongoing
Visit with our Mother Nature character and enjoy hands on learning with specimens, magnifying glasses, and creatures that sample curriculum from our onsite living classroom programs.
• Youth Arts Day Exhibit - Enjoy youth artwork from all over the county including ceramics, painting, drawing, photography, sculpture and written word pieces on view inside the Richmond Cottage and Stone House from April 27th through May 16th.